One of the new features landing in iOS4 for the iPhone and iPod Touch is the ability to create playlists on the device. In the previous version of iOS users had to create playlists on their computers using iTunes and then sync the playlists to their devices. The tutorial below will show you how to create a playlist on the iPhone using iOS4.
If you have any comments or questions please post them below.
Note: I used an iPhone 4 running iOS4 for this tutorial.
Create a Playlist on the iPhone
1. Tap on the iPod application.
2. Tap on the Playlists button.
3. Tap on Add Playlist from the Playlists list.
4. Name the New Playlist and 5. Tap on Save.
6. You can select Songs, entire Albums, and even Playlists when adding songs to your playlist.
7. Tap on the (+) button to add the song to the new playlist or tap on Add All Songs to add all listed songs to the new playlist.
8. When you are done adding songs to the playlist, tap on the Done button.
A. Songs you add to the playlist will be greyed out as they are added.
Edit, Clear, and Delete Playlists on the iPhone
1. Tap on the playlist you wish to edit.
2. Tap on the Edit button.
3. Tap on the (-) button to remove songs from the list, when deleting songs you will be asked to confirm the deletion (see below).
4. Confirm the deletion by tapping on the Delete button when it appears.
Note: Songs will not be deleted from the iPhone, they are only being removed from the playlist.
5. You can also change the order in which the songs are listed by tapping and dragging the song to the desired location.
6. When you are done editing the playlist, tap on the Done button.
A. You can clear all of the songs on the playlist by tapping on the Clear button and confirming by tapping on the Clear Playlist button when it appears.
B. You can delete all of the songs on the playlist by tapping on the Delete button and confirming by tapping on the Delete Playlist button when it appears.