In its latest incarnation, Mac OS X Lion brings the best of the mobile experience and combines it with the power and robustness of Mac OS.
Wether you are new to Mac OS X or are an experienced Mac user new to Lion, you will find the collection of guides below indispensable.
Here we will cover Mac basics as well as advanced topics so make sure to bookmark this page for future reference.
All guides were created using Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) unless specified otherwise.
Mac OS X Table of Contents
In order to make this page as simple to navigate as possible I have sorted all the guides into the topic areas listed below.
To learn about a specific topic, click the topic link and you will be taken to the section of the page containing a list of articles/guides related to the topic.
I have also included a Back to Top link for each topic so that you can get back to this section and explore other topic areas.
- Getting Started with Mac OS X Lion
- Managing Files & Folders
- Customize the Finder
- Edit and Share Photos on Your Mac
- Create and Edit Videos on Your Mac
- Be Productive with Your Mac
- Privacy & Security
- Maintain Your Mac
Getting Started with Mac OS X Lion (Mac Basics)
Whether you are new to Mac OS or recently upgraded to Lion, you will find the collection of articles below a great resource to learn something new about Mac OS X.
- Introduction to Mac OS X Lion
- Delete & Uninstall Applications in Mac OS
- How to Change the Background in Mac OS
- Change the Scrolling Direction in Lion
- How to Go Full Screen in Lion
Managing Files & Folders
Now that you have a basic understanding of your Mac and how it works, it is time we learn how to manage files, folders, and Apps.
- Organize Your Apps with Folders in Lion
- How to Use Quick Look in Mac OS to Preview Files Instantly
- How to Mount and Eject ISO and DMG Files in Mac OS
- How to Transfer Fonts with Your Mac
- How to Sort Files & Folders in Finder
- How to Group Files & Folders in Lion
Customize the Finder
The Finder is where it all happens. Get to know your Mac’s easy-to-use interface and conquer the world of computing.
The guides below will show you how to customize and make the most of Finder.
- How to Turn On/Off Indicator Lights for Open Apps
- How to Resize Windows from Any Edge
- How to Show the Scroll Bars in Mac OS Lion
- How to Change the Docks Icon Size
- How to Automatically Start Applications at Boot Up
Edit & Share Photos on Your Mac
With their glossy screens, pictures never looked better. Take advantage of your Mac’s high-end screens to edit photos and print those memorable vacations on books, cards, and more with iPhoto.
Create, Edit and Share Videos on Your Mac
One of the most powerful apps in the iLife suite is iMovie. In this section you will find guides that will show you how to use iMovie to edit those special moments.
We will also show you how to use QuickTime for basic video editing and sharing on the web.
- How to Create a New iMovie Project
- How to Download iMovie
- How to Import a Movie Clip to iMovie
- How to Choose Where iMovie Projects & Events are Stored
- How to Create a DVD in iMovie
- How to Insert an Animated Map in iMovie
- How to Open Animated Map Inspector in iMovie
- How to Create an Animated Map with Multiple Stops in iMovie
- How to Import MTS (AVCHD) Clips to iMovie
- How to Change an Event’s Date & Time in iMovie
- How to Trim a Movie with QuickTime Player
- How to Create Video Screencasts with QuickTime Player
- How to Share Videos on YouTube, MobileMe and Others with QuickTime
Be Productive with Your Mac
The following guides will provide you with some great tips and information to keep yourself productive on your Mac.
- How to Access Online Template from Office 2011
- How to Insert and Edit Comments in Excel 2011
- How to Keep Email Addresses Private When Sending Group Messages
- How to Design & Print Business Cars in Word 2011
iCal for Mac
PDFs on Your Mac
- How to Create and Save PDFs on Your Mac
- How to Email a PDF from Almost Any Application
- How to Enable File Sharing on Your Mac
- How to Compress PDF Files on Your Mac
- How to Use Safari to Quickly Find Definitions
- How to Open Pages in Tabs Instead of New Windows in Safari
- How to Use the Reading List in Safari
Privacy & Security
In this day and age privacy and security should be one of your top priorities, especially if you are using a mobile Mac.
In this section you will find guides that will show you how to keep your data secured and protect your privacy.
- How to Disable Location Services in Mac OS X Lion
- How to Enable the Firewall in Mac OS
- How to Set Preferred Wireless Networks
- Edit the Hosts File without the Headache
Maintain Your Mac
Although Macs are pretty reliable machines there may come a time when you run into an issue or two.
If you find yourself in a situation where your Mac died or it is not performing how it used to you may want to check out one of the guides below to make sure you back up and keep your Mac running like new.
- How to Delete/Uninstall Apps in Lion
- How to Backup Your Mac with Time Machine
- How to Clean Up Your Mac with OnyX
Need help with something that is not listed here? Check out our Questions & Answers website and post your question for free tech support.